Friday, July 11, 2014

Field Trip Day!

     Yesterday, my class went on a field trip to the Lincoln Park Zoo. The kids had an awesome time and I think they learned some new animal facts, too! There were some behavior problems, though overall the kids were enjoying their trip. I'm not sure if the students were rowdy because it was a summer school field trip or they just have a lot of energy stored up, but they were running around the zoo like crazy! It was a very stressful day, but I knew that they were just kids being kids, and they don't always have the opportunity to go on cool field trips, especially during summer school.


Although it was super stressful, I had a great time, and I think that if I had more time with the students, they might be less wound up if we were able to go on another trip. I only have four more days left to teach at Westcott, and I am really going to miss my students! They give me a hard time, but they also want to learn just like any other kids do. I've only been at this school for a few weeks, and already the students see me as someone they can trust. It's such a rewarding feeling to know that in some, small way, I will have left an imprint on these students' lives. On the bus, I was able to sit and talk with students I did not always have the chance to speak with in the classroom setting, which was really cool because I was able to make connections with them on a more personal level. They told me about where they like to visit in the city and what music they listen to. For me, teaching goes beyond just working with the students in the classroom. I find that an effective teacher is someone who can connect with students on a personal level while also earning the respect of her students in the instructional setting. Students need a teacher they know will support them and be a resource for them even after they leave the class and move on to another grade, and that is the kind of teacher that I aspire to be.




In the end, I know that these students will have learned something during their time at summer school, and it might take more than five weeks for these students to "catch up" to their peers, but at least they know that there are teachers who care about them as learners and are there to support them throughout their academic careers. Working at Westcott has taught me a lot about what my strengths and weaknesses are as a teacher, and I've learned about what methods I want to use in my future classroom. I'm so excited to start teaching kindergarten in the fall, and I am eager to continue my career with Chicago Public Schools. 

No comments:

Post a Comment