Thursday, January 6, 2011

Let me answer that with another question...

   A couple days ago in one of my classes, we journaled on the question, "Why are people religious?" What I'd like to know is, "Why are people not religious?" Of course, because I needed to complete the assignment, I provided a legitimate answer.
   I know why I'm religious. To me, my faith is a part of me. I would not be half the person I am today if I did not have my faith. What's interesting though, is when people ask me questions about what I believe and why I believe a certain way, I cannot always give clear-cut answers. This is not to say I don't have answers to these questions, because I do. However, sometimes, explaining faith or Christianity can be a touchy subject.
   Christianity is something a person just has to accept. Faith is not based on "the hard facts" or scientific knowledge. Faith just... is. The decision to have faith is ultimately up to the person. A person has to really feel a connection in order for faith to make any sense at all. The answers
cannot be found in a book, they are always there; the person just has to find them.
   What I am more curious about is why people are not religious. I do not wish to criticize or pass judgment. I simply wish to understand their point of view. From what I have observed and inferred from conversations and my own personal experience, the subject of religion immediately puts people on the defense. People feel the need to convince another person to conform to their beliefs. This should not be the case.  A person cannot believe something simply because he is told to; he has the freedom to believe whatever he wishes to believe.

"My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from Him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; He is my fortress, I will never be shaken"
Psalm 62:1-2

   So, why are people religious? Well, why are people not religious? Do these questions really have one answer? Each individual has their own opinions on the matter. There is no right or wrong answer. Many people interpret religion differently. Though, for some reason, because of these various viewpoints, the subject has become one that is unpleasant and often avoided. While people can be extremely opinionated, they are entitled to their opinion.
   Such questions cannot be tackled in a ten minute class discussion or half page journal. These are the questions that cause me to stop, think, and evaluate my own beliefs and reasoning. I am curious if they cause other people to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment