Thursday, November 18, 2010

Today I witnessed something called the "Clothesline Project". It was actually quite interesting. Survivors, or those who didn't, of abuse and rape were recognized by t-shirts that told their stories. While looking at the shirts, different sounds were made to represent statistics of abuse, rape, and murder. As I read the various t-shirts, some of the stories were truly amazing.
   What stood out to me most were those who wrote they had found God and were so grateful to be free. I commend those who are able to be so strong in their faith, and I am truly, truly thankful that I have never been tested in such a way. I think that it is totally amazing that those people are able to remain strong and faithful in times of such despair. However, I came across one shirt that flat out blamed God for everything they had been through. At that point, I stopped reading t-shirts. I was done. Of all the stories I read about rape, incest, and abuse, the shirt that insulted my God was the most offensive. I was so upset.
   I know that I cannot possibly understand how awful their situation must have been, but to blame God? Of all people, to blame the creator who loves all of us eternally? I can only hope they realize that it is not his fault this awful sin exists in our world, but our own. Adam and Eve brought sin into the world, humans brought sin into the world, NOT God. We are imperfect, as we sin on a daily basis. WE are not deserving of HIS love. God did not bring this tragedy into the world, we did; and that is something we must seek forgiveness for everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment