Sunday, November 7, 2010

Why.

   Christianity is more than just a set of beliefs for me, Christianity is my faith and a lifestyle choice I have made and completely commit to. The Nicene Creed outlines the basic principles of Christianity: “I believe in one God, the Father Almighty, maker of heaven and earth, and of all things visible and invisible…” (The Nicene Creed). In Sunday school, when I was taught the Creed, my teacher told me that if anyone ever asked me what I believed, I should recite the Creed to them. When I wondered why I should ever have to memorize this or even want to recite these words to anyone, I realized that God extends His glory and offers His love to every person on this earth. God loves everyone, and as a Christian, I have an obligation to share His joy with the world; I would be selfish to keep His love to myself (Primicerio). I find His love to be incredibly overwhelming: God loves me. No matter what I do, He will never turn his back on me. I do not deserve His compassion, for I am a sinner, imperfect; but he shows mercy on me anyway. Because of His magnitude, I try my best to live a life that reflects the life of Jesus. I can only maintain such a lifestyle if I have faith in God. By living my life for God and expressing humility, I will consistently grow closer to Him, and He will give me the strength I need to share His love with others. His love can be expressed through my every day actions; I am merely an act dancing on an enormous stage, performing for the world and hoping that I can show them the glory of God (Primicerio). With all that God has given me and will continue to present to me, the least I can do is live my life for Him and not myself.
   As a Christian, I look at the world with an entirely different perspective. In today’s society, passing judgment and holding hatred toward another is not uncommon. Too often, people take one look at a person and decide he or she is a snob, poor, unintelligent, rude, a criminal, the list continues without an end. Despite the judgments people pass, Matthew 4:44-45, 48 says, “But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be children of your Father in heaven…Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.”  Not only does this verse advocate that love should be expressed for all humankind, but the idea of living a Godly life is reinstated as well; living out each day in God’s footsteps and in His name, I can show Him that I truly am grateful for everything He has done for me. If all humans were created in God’s image, why then, do too many people in this world feel they are better than others? Why bother wasting time feeling angry and upset with someone when reconciling could bring joy for a lifetime. Matthew 7:2 says, “For with the judgment you make you will be judged, and the measure you give will be the measure you get.” God treats all of His children equally, and everyone has a place in His heart. I want to live every day with no regrets, and accepting people for who they are is key to achieving this goal. By hating another human, animal, or an element of nature, I would hate one of God’s creations. Everything God created has a special kind of beauty and a specific purpose: I am in no position to question His will.
   Understanding God’s plan can be an extremely difficult task. Patience. In order to be Christian, I have found that I need to have patience. Throughout the course of life, various circumstances arise that may cause myself, or a person in general, to question God’s will or simply feel alone. Death, sickness, and crime. What could God be trying to communicate? Every day poses a new challenge that can seem impossible to overcome. I have been in situations that have left me confused and conflicted, and I honestly do not know where to turn. As I think about my problems, I remember I am never alone. God will never turn his back on me, He loves me unconditionally, and He will forever guide my path. Psalm 23:1, 4 says, “The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not want…Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I fear no evil; for you are with me; your rod and your staff – they comfort me.” Metaphors exist throughout the Bible and stress the importance of God’s influence; as a shepherd, God guides the path of those who choose to follow him. I have no reason to be afraid of the future because God always has a plan, even when I do not. Matthew 6:34 says, “So do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring worries of its own. Today’s trouble is enough for today.” Trying to look too far ahead will not strengthen my relationship with God or provide me with answers. The only solution to worrying and impatience is prayer. Nothing will ever be too complicated or insignificant in His eyes.
   “Ask and it will be given to you; search, and you will find; knock, and the door will be opened for you. For everyone who asks receives, and everyone who searches finds, and for everyone who knocks, the door will be opened,” (Matthew 7:7-8). God always has a plan and He will always provide. Although I am unworthy of His love and His mercy, He shares with me anyway. He is selfless and accepts all children in His kingdom. I cannot thank Him enough for all He has given me and all that He will give me. His love is never ending, and for that I am eternally grateful; I feel blessed that I was able to connect with Him at such an early age. Without a doubt, I would not be even half the person I am today if I had never experienced God’s love. Nothing in this world is more powerful.

No comments:

Post a Comment