Friday, October 15, 2010

Capital Punishment

   Today, in Sociology, we had a very heated discussion regarding the death penalty. Personally, I am completely, 100% AGAINST the death penalty. I do not believe that any human should have any sort of decision of deciding the fate of another human. Are not all humans created equally? If all sins are equal in God's eyes, why then, do we issue death to those who murder? Where is the punishment for those who lie? Who commit adultery, or premarital sex? I simply cannot accept the death penalty as rational punishment.
   I am not saying I do not see both sides of this case, because I certainly do. I am only saying that I absolutely do not agree with the other side. I understand that there are crimes so incredibly awful and gruesome to think about, but I don't believe that we, as imperfect, sinning, humans, are in any position to make the call about someone's life.
   What good comes from killing off a murderer? If the issue is safety, there are plenty of other options and ways of keeping such people from roaming the streets. The only real outcome I see from the death penalty is revenge. Revenge is a totally, twisted sin in itself. Revenge implies anger and seeking vengeance on another human. It is intentionally causing pain on one of God's creatures. I can't see that as justified, no matter what he or she may have done.
   Another argument I have heard is that people who are on death row have committed serious crimes and they intentionally mess with someone's head, degrade them, and make them feel less of themselves. Is this not what a typically "bully" does? Why not try to stop the problem early on and try to note any serious mental illnesses in childhood rather than waiting until late adulthood?
   What really stuck out to me was that someone had the nerve to argue that murderers do not have any mental illnesses. I find this to be highly unlikely. Even though it may not be scientifically diagnosed, anyone who feels the need to take someone else's life has some serious issues. They may have had a rough childhood or a traumatizing experience.
   I simply do not think that death penalty is justified in any way. God is the ultimate being and only he has the power to decide the fate of a human life.

No comments:

Post a Comment