Monday, October 11, 2010

Time, or lack thereof.

part of my editorial... rough, vague, needs work.


  
   I find myself in the same situation as many other high school seniors. Too many high school seniors are overloaded with homework, sports, working, and college applications. Hardly any time is left for leisure activities or even visiting colleges. Sleeping is a rare commodity.
   Everyday seems the same; I have fallen into a routine that leaves me dead tired when the day finally comes to a close. Each day poses a new challenge that I find nearly impossible to overcome, nearly all my patience disappears before I even step foot in my house.
   Living with four younger sisters accounts for significantly more stress than I feel necessary. Trying to complete my homework takes almost as much energy as completing my school day. I hardly have time to relax.
   On the rare occasion that I have a bit of downtime, I prefer to sit down, relax, and catch up on some shows or reading. However, this simple act seems nearly impossible. Though, if I even look like I have nothing to do, I am immediately bombarded with chores and errands from my parents. So ridiculous.
   Too many seniors or teenagers in general, feel incredibly overwhelmed by the act of being a teenager. While growing up leads to more freedoms, it certainly comes with a heavy load of responsibility.
   As I enter my house, I feel like I am walking into a petting zoo; children scream at one another and run around wildly while the dog barks continuously. Trying to complete any homework correctly takes an exhausting amount of energy. The cycle never ends. I feel trapped.
   This cycle is not uncommon for a typical senior. While many people believe senior year to be an “easy, slack-off” year, rarely is this the case. Trying to balance school and outside activities poses an extremely difficult challenge. On top of these activities, many seniors have siblings or chores to attend to at home, need I mention, college applications.
  When the weekend finally rolls around, I would like to say I feel relieved; however, rarely is this true. I usually need to use the weekend to finish homework I was unable to attend to during the week. Sometimes, I wonder what it feels like to be normal, and then I realize, in this world, no one is ever normal.
   I wish, that for just one day, I could explain how strenuous every second of my life feels; though whenever I try to explain things to my parents or siblings everyone has their own list of mindless tasks.
   What many people do not realize is that many teenagers are in the same situation. Whether they are busy with sports, academics, or extracurricular activities, schedules always appear to be overbooked.
   Some seniors have morning practice three days a week, with three hours of practice after school every day. Arriving home at six might seem like enough time to complete homework at a reasonable hour; but after spending over twelve hours at school with gruelling practices, the average teenager is totally worn out.
   Sometimes, it seems like everyone is competing against one another. Who has the busiest schedule? Does it matter? At this point, I don’t have time to care.

No comments:

Post a Comment